Coastal Communities Ocean Acidification Act of 2019
Date: March 13, 2019 Official Title: To direct the Secretary of Commerce, acting through the Administrator of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, to conduct coastal community vulnerability assessments related to ocean acidification, and for other purposes.Short title This Act may be cited as the "Coastal Communities Ocean Acidification Act of 2019".In general Section 12406 of the Federal Ocean Acidification Research And Monitoring Act of 2009 () is amended—
(1) In general The Secretary, through the program established under subsection (a), shall conduct an ocean acidification coastal community vulnerability assessment, and issue a corresponding public report, that shall be updated at least once every 7 years.
* (A) identify the United States coastal communities, including island communities, low-population rural communities, and subsistence communities, that are most dependent on coastal and ocean resources that may be impacted by ocean acidification;
* (B) assess the nature of those communities' social and economic vulnerabilities;
* (C) identify the ocean acidification impacts that might harm those communities, including impacts from changes in ocean and coastal marine resources that are not managed by the Federal Government;
* (D) identify key knowledge gaps where research could be devoted to better understand the possible impacts of ocean acidification on these vulnerable communities, the risks and threats facing these communities, and possible adaptation strategies for these communities; and