Accelerating Veterans Recovery Outdoors Act
Date: May 1, 2019 Official Title: To require the Secretary of Veterans Affairs to establish an interagency task force on the use of public lands to provide medical treatment and therapy to veterans through outdoor recreation.Short title This Act may be cited as the "Accelerating Veterans Recovery Outdoors Act".Establishment Not later than 180 days after the date of the enactment of this Act, the Secretary of Veterans Affairs shall establish a task force to be known as the "Task Force on Outdoor Recreation for Veterans" (in this section referred to as the "Task Force").Composition The Task Force shall be composed of the following members or their designees:
(1) The Secretary of Veterans Affairs.
(2) The Secretary of the Interior.
(3) The Secretary of Health and Human Services.
(4) The Secretary of Agriculture.
(5) The Secretary of Defense.
(6) The Secretary of Homeland Security.
(7) The Chief of the Army Corps of Engineers.
(8) Any other member that the Secretary of Veterans Affairs determines to be appropriate.Chairpersons The Secretary of Veterans Affairs and the Secretary of the Interior shall serve as co-chairpersons of the Task Force (in this section referred to as the "Chairpersons").
(1) Task Force The duties of the Task Force shall be—
(A) to identify opportunities to formalize coordination between the Department of Veterans Affairs, public land agencies, and partner organizations regarding the use of public lands or other outdoor spaces for medical treatment and recreational therapy for veterans;
(B) to identify barriers that exist to providing veterans with opportunities for medical treatment and therapy through the use of outdoor recreation on public lands or other outdoor spaces; and
(C) to develop recommendations to better facilitate the use of public lands or other outdoor spaces for preventative care, medical treatment, and therapy for veterans.
(2) Consultation The Task Force shall carry out the duties under paragraph (1) in consultation with appropriate veterans outdoor recreation groups.