United States Postal Service Shipping Equity Act
Date: May 3, 2019 Official Title: To amend title 18, United States Code, and title 39, United States Code, to provide the United States Postal Service the authority to mail alcoholic beverages, and for other purposes.Short title This Act may be cited as the "United States Postal Service Shipping Equity Act".
(1) Nonmailable articles Section 1716(f) of title 18, United States Code, is amended by striking "mails" and inserting "mails, except to the extent that the mailing is allowable under section 3001(p) of title 39".
(2) Alcoholic beverages Section 1154(a) of title 18, United States Code, is amended, by inserting "or, with respect to the mailing of alcoholic beverages to the extent allowed under section 3001(p) of title 39" after "mechanical purposes".Regulations Section 3001 of title 39, United States Code, is amended by adding at the end the following:
* (A) by a covered entity in accordance with applicable regulations under paragraph (2); and
* (B) in accordance with the delivery requirements otherwise applicable to a privately carried shipment of an alcoholic beverage in the State, territory, or district of the United States where the addressee or duly authorized agent takes delivery.
* (A) the mailing shall be by a means established by the Postal Service to ensure direct delivery to the addressee or a duly authorized agent at a postal facility;
* (B) the addressee (and any duly authorized agent) shall be an individual at least 21 years of age, and shall present a valid, Government-issued photo identification at the time of delivery;