Lead-Safe Housing for Kids Act of 2019
Date: May 21, 2019 Official Title: To amend the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act to provide for additional procedures for families with children under the age of 6, and for other purposes.Short title This Act may be cited as the "Lead-Safe Housing for Kids Act of 2019".Amendments to the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act Section 302(a) of the Lead-Based Paint Poisoning Prevention Act () is amended—
* (i) **Definition** In this subparagraph, the term —
* (I) means housing receiving Federal assistance described in paragraph (1) that was constructed prior to 1978; and
* (II) does not include—
* (ii) **Regulations** Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of the , the Secretary shall promulgate regulations that—
* (I) require the owner of covered housing in which a family with a child of less than 6 years of age will reside or is expected to reside to conduct an initial risk assessment for lead-based paint hazards—
* (II) provide that a visual assessment alone is not sufficient for purposes of complying with subclause (I);
* (III) require that, if lead-based paint hazards are identified by an initial risk assessment conducted under subclause (I), the owner of the covered housing shall—
* (IV) provide that there shall be no extension of the 30-day period described in subclause (III)(aa).
* (iii) **Exceptions** The regulations promulgated under clause (ii) shall provide an exception to the requirement under subclause (I) of such clause for covered housing—
* (I) if the owner of the covered housing submits to the Secretary documentation—
* (II) from which all lead-based paint has been identified and removed and clearance has been achieved in accordance with regulations promulgated under section 402 or 404 of the Toxic Substances Control Act (, 2684), as applicable;
* (IV) in accordance with any other standard or exception the Secretary deems appropriate based on health-based standards.
(B) Relocation Not later than 180 days after the date of enactment of the , the Secretary shall promulgate regulations to provide that a family with a child of less than 6 years of age that occupies a dwelling unit in covered housing in which lead-based paint hazards were identified, but not controlled in accordance with regulations required under clause (ii), may relocate on an emergency basis and without placement on any waitlist, penalty (including rent payments to be made for that dwelling unit), or lapse in assistance to—